After 12 years of failure by this Labour Government, yesterday’s speech by Shadow Education Secretary, Michael Gove, gives those of us who care about education some real hope. He analysed the failure of the current system and presented some positive ideas for the future.
Below are some of the policies outlined:
– New powers for teachers to control violent behaviour.
– New powers for heads over pay and conditions which will break the grip of Unions.
– New powers for all state schools to do top quality international exams.
– More control of universities over exams, which will expose and reverse dumbing down and break the power of the QCA.
– Big shake-ups for all the quangos and the Whitehall structure.
– A genuine system of school choice with organisations and parents free to set up new schools (and radical changes to planning law and building regs to make this possible).
– Parents free to control the taxpayers’ money spent on their child so they can switch it to one of the new charter schools, and radical freedoms for these schools outside the grip of the state.
The full text of his speech can be read by clicking here: http://conservativehome.blogs.com/files/090630-gove-speech-to-rsa.pdf