MP’s expenses have been in the news again this week and the conduct of some MPs have attracted further deserved criticism. I want to take this opportunity to set out my pledge on expenses and allowances to the people of Halton. If I were to become the MP for Halton I would:
- Be completely open about all of my expenses and allowances, publishing full details every year
- Only claim expenses for costs I have incurred in doing my job as an MP (e.g. travel costs and office allowances)
- Provide receipts for all my expense claims
- Not employ members of my family
- Only claim expenses in relation to a second home where they were genuinely incurred, not because I was “entitled” to them
The voters of Halton have a right to know how I would behave as their MP, and they have a right to know how all MPs are spending their money. I pledge complete openness with them on my expenses and allowances; it’s the least they deserve as I would work for them.